I fell down a terrible rabbit whole. Wait... While this is true, I am getting ahead of myself a bit. Let me try again. First I’ll indulge in a little self-deprecation. In honor of my dad who thought blonde jokes were the funniest jokes ever told (which I have grown to understand that they are actually very offensive) Here’s a joke that describes me recently: Three blondes walk into a building…You’d think at least one of them would’ve seen it! But I digress… Do you ever suddenly realize the universe, the powers that be, god, (whatever you want to call it), SOMETHING is trying to get your attention and you’ve been missing the hints for a while? I like to kid myself into thinking that I am “aware” and “in tune” with things. But, there are times that I blithely and quite literally, “blondely” miss things that are practically slapping me in the face. I think it actually started subtlety, a few years ago…...
It's been a minute since I've written anything. To be honest, it's been a minute since I've felt like being verbal. I've spent the past couple of months feeling very introspective, in a "I don't want to talk," "I don't have the energy to analyze it," I just need to let this simmer" kind of way. It felt like the right thing to do and so I just went with it. But now I'm ready to close this chapter and move on. However, to go forward, I have to go back a bit. Here's what happened... I stumbled into 2019 feeling worn down and not myself. My #1 goal was to value myself enough to pursue better health to increase my quality of life. It was a rough road. I was constantly sick, missing work and even in the hospital a couple times throughout the first half of the year. By the time June rolled around, I was in pain and vomiting all the time and exhausted from just getting out of bed. I remember getting o...
As I get older, I think about the timelines and guideposts that I use to gauge success in my life. I often think about what I knew (at least what I thought I knew) and what I know now. I think it is evolutionary. Life continues on and, (if we are actually living our lives), we learn and grow as we go along. I’ve always had an independent mind. I have always felt as though I was fairly sure of who I was. I knew what I wanted and where I was going. Looking back, I can see the goal posts that I set and the timelines that I created and followed – sometimes almost blindly and to my detriment. The only saving grace that I can glean from the bumps, bruises and failures I survived along the way is the realization that it is all part of the story that makes up who I am today. When I think about the timelines that are imposed on us and how rigid they can be, I can’t help but consider where they came from and how I adopte...
Comments
Post a Comment