The 2016 Election - The Day After

It has been a rough election.  From the very beginning, it seemed surreal - like we were watching reality TV at its best - or maybe worst since it was more than TV - it was our reality.  The campaigning was vicious and the conflict was non-stop.  The debates were so unreal that it was almost comical until you stopped for a moment and realized that it wasn't just entertainment, it was the bid for the greatest honor in our country - The President of the United States of America.  (As I type that last sentence out, I can't help but think how ironic the word "United" is as we are anything but a united society at this moment. - But I digress.)

As the race for the White House went, I found that I was interested and began watching the debates and speeches in hopes that I would gain insights into what was going on.  But, eventually, in every instance, I would be so disgusted and overwhelmed that I would stop watching and retreat to a book in an attempt to block out the ugliness of what was going on. 

So, it is no surprise that I found myself disconnected on Tuesday, November 8th.  Yes, I voted, however I had a knot in my stomach at the thought of the evening to come.  I couldn't put my finger on the source of my feelings and still have to sort that out to be honest, but I was fearful that the projected landslide was not what would come to fruition. 

So, I stopped the self-torture and went to bed early on Tuesday - closing myself off to the heavy energy that was weighing on my chest.

I woke Wednesday morning feeling no better.  As I quickly took in news clips, checked text messages and scanned social media, a thicker fog rolled over me.  The results were in the weight pressed.  I walked into my office to find a mournful greeting.  It was a weight of sadness, a weight of confusion, a weight that I am still unable to fully understand or make sense of. 

In an attempt to soothe myself I finally say down in an attempt to express what I was feeling and lift some of that aforementioned weight.  This is what I wrote: 


Today, my hope is that we, as a currently divided America, can find middle ground in not only our respect for the basic reasons our forefathers sought out and sacrificed (even their lives) to protect their right to be free from oppression, but in more than just laws.  We would do well to revert to, seek out and develop the basic commonality of humanity and the right of all living persons of all backgrounds, denominations and creeds to pursue life, freedom, liberty, justice and happiness.  

 We can thrive if we can step back and regain our footing in the simplest of guidelines to “mind our manners.”  Samuel Adams said, "[N]either the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt."  Thomas Jefferson went on to say, "It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution."

Mrs. Clinton’s speech this morning was one that incited us to be courageous moving forward.  She reminded me of the person that I want to be in the days to come.  She encouraged grace, patience and respect.  Her message was hopeful and I hope that we can all live up to, at a minimum, the basic requirement of supporting a respectful, peaceful, kind existence in a civilized society.  We all deserve that. 

If you haven’t watched Mrs. Clinton’s speech, I hope you will.  I believe that the positive message and hopeful sentiments can provide a foundation and a bit of strength to those whom may need it to step into the next days with purpose and hopeful determination so as to operate from a place of courage, tolerance and action based in hope and pride in our country and who we can become together vs. retaliations or actions based in hate and fear.

Mrs. Clinton said, "To all the little girls, never doubt that you are valuable, and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams."  I believe you can substitute in place of “little girls,” “any who have been disrespected, attacked belittled or shunned.” 

I am fearful.  I do however realize that fear is natural and honest and I don’t intend to allow it to be used against me in the days ahead.  I hope to acknowledge my fear and sit with it and learn how to use it to grow.  And despite my fears, I do believe that good conquers evil.  Therefore, it is with great hope, that I find comfort and peace in this statement: 

"I still believe as deeply as I ever have, that if we stand together and work together with respect for our differences, strength in our convictions and love for this Nation, our best days are still ahead of us. We are stronger together and we will go forward together." ~ Hillary Clinton

Love one another. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)