Skylarking: A Poem (4/1/2019)

I got to thinking about the Skylark bird today.  The Skylark isn't a bright and showy bird.  As a matter of fact, it is pretty plain.  However, it is known for its prolonged song during its hovering flight.

When I think about that, it seems pretty amazing to me.  It's a refreshing idea.  How awesome is it that a creature would sing its song, not to stand out to or for others, but for the sole purpose of bringing joy to its own flight. 

If only we would stop and take note of the wisdom found in nature.  We have much to learn.  

In honor of the Skylark, I wrote a poem about taking the time to do a little skylarking in our own lives.



SKYLARKING - By Autumn Boyet-Stinton

Twiddle-de-dee and twiddle-de-dum
               Skylarking through life – to and from

A joke, a trick, even a little bit of fun
               Joyfully spinning round-and-round the sun

A moment of silly, of pure delight
               Enjoying life’s colors so true and bright

Feeling some joy and horsing around
               Feather-light feet don’t ever touch the ground

A smile, a snicker, a giggle or laugh
               Searching out pleasure on my own behalf

Life is too serious most of the time
               It’s easy to bog down in negative grime

But moments of freedom I strive to attain
               Fun rinses my soul like droplets of rain

Sharing my outlook is a purpose divine
               You can’t steal my joy – oh, no!  It is mine!

So flitter and flutter and dance all about
               And sing oh so loud till your lungs just give out

Energy's not wasted spreading good cheer
               It will come back full-circle year after year

So search out some time to skylark today
               And happiness you’ll know, joyous you’ll stay!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)