He Took A Knee : A Poem (2/28/2020)

Last night, as I lay in my bed, enjoying the "fuzzy place" between awake and asleep, I found myself lingering on thoughts of the man by my side.  His kind heart.  His caring nature.  His strength.  His playful demeanor.  His truly good soul.  And I thought to myself, "I love this man.  I am so fortunate that he puts up with my shit!" (Full disclosure:  I had been - as my dad would have said - a witch with a capital "B" most of the evening.)

As I loathed my behavior and planned my apology for the morning, I couldn't help but think about the stress he's endured...because of me.  And the worry that plagues him...because of me.

A moment that he recently shared with me came to mind - the moment the Oncologist came to him after my surgery and told him that I was in recovery and doing good.  And more, that I didn't need chemo or radiation. He said that relief he felt was so great that he took a knee.  I was so touched by this reaction and that he was willing to share such a vulnerable moment with me.

And with knowing that my husband is my rock and that I am safe here with him, I was able to drift to sleep.

Somewhere in the night, I woke with words - verses if you will - spring-boarding about my grey matter and bringing me out of sleep just enough to capture them to my conscious mind.  (Leave it to inspiration to strike at the most inconvenient times - a girl needs her beauty sleep for Pete's sake!)

But... capture the inspiration I did, and this is my ode to the amazing, kind, loving, handsome, adventurous, thoughtful, respectful, supportive, funny, open-minded, smart, engaging, beautiful soul my husband is.


For my Husband, Doug

He Took A Kneeby Autumn Boyet-Stinton (2/28/2020) 

A dad who coached and taught respect
He learned his actions have affect
            …And so he took a knee.

Young love as happy as could be
Together blissful they will be
            …And so he took a knee.

A little bump, a scrape or two
A band aid hug to see them through
            …And so he took a knee.

The doctor’s words did shock and scare
Yet, she pulled through just as their prayer
            …And so he took a knee.

Life speeds by with memories gained
With her last breath his heart was pained
            …And so he took a knee. 

Denver, CO - Women's Rights Rally

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)