In loving Memory of My Friend, Michael Mclendon

 At one time or another, I would venture that we’ve all been in the uncomfortable position of being the unknown/new person in a group of established friends.  It can be awkward and uncomfortable. 

And that is exactly where I was – in the middle of my own personal introvert-hell amongst a loud and boisterous group of people I didn’t know – when I gracelessly tripped into the middle of Mike’s world in Keystone, CO. 

With an easy smile, he conveyed welcome, calm, friendliness and comfort.  My tortured introvert soul immediately identified him as a safe harbor.  My recollection of that evening centers around settling in next to Mike, playing cards and engaging in easy banter.

A short time later, we traveled to Arizona to attend an ASU game.  Having mentioned that we were going to be in town, Mike invited us to stop by his tailgate party.  To me, it seemed to be an obligatory invitation, but we decided to briefly stop to say hello.  As we walked up, Mike not only greeted us as you would old friends, but as though we were honored guests.  I had a hug, a drink and a chair so fast my head spun.

Over the years, Mike has introduced us to many people that we cherish as friends.  I am thankful that I had the joy of traveling and vacationing with him, welcoming him into our home and sharing music, laughs, ASU, and many adventures with him. 

But it wasn’t just the big memories and big adventures where his light shone.  For me, it will be the small gestures and small moments that stick with me – knowing that he would always have a hug for me – finding a quick hello message in my inbox, just because – receiving a text with a picture that he took that he thought I would like or that made him think of me.  With these small gestures, he made me feel like a valued friend.  It is the memory of his small kindnesses that will hold his place in my heart. 

I came across a tid-bit about Mike on his ASU bio that says a lot about the person that he was:  “Michael was the first and only recipient of the Most Spirited ASU faculty/ Staff Award.”

 And he was “spirited” in so many aspects of his life.  Mike had a zest for life that was contagious.  He wasn’t afraid to be himself.  He didn’t ask more from anyone than to be your genuine self.  He brought people together.  He wanted to engage and share.  He was playful.  He was kind.  He was loyal.  He was accepting.  He was fun.  He was generous.  He was thoughtful.  He loved his animals (Duke!).  He cherished his friends.  His daughter was the light of his life - his heart and soul.  This is who he was.  He was a good human...These pieces of his humanity are his legacy

These are the things that I will cherish and miss the most about Mike in my world.  

You are gone too soon, but you lived a great story, Mike.  Thank you for being part of mine.  

Forks Up!  Until we meet again. 


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)