Depair: A Poem (January 7, 2019)

Desperation does more than simply change us.  It warps us into something unrecognizable to others and most importantly, ourselves.  It is, in fact, a dark abyss that is difficult to remove one's self from. 


DESPAIR
by Autumn Boyet Stinton

Out of the extreme you are born,
Catering to the lost, forsaken and forlorn.

You devour those in great distress,
And laugh at those suffering unyielding duress.

You tangle souls in great despair,
Of their agony and torment you do not care. 

You imprison some in hopelessness,
Their heart left feeble from unrelenting stress. 

Your power so strong does more than wound,  
And your victims to that are not attuned.

More than changing you warp and distort,
Introducing demoralization as your evil cohort. 

You are not satisfied with unhappiness alone,
Pleased only when despondency and demoralization are known.

Driving one to utter gloom and loss,
Gleefully smiling when into darkness one does cross.   

You only take and give not any,
Hungrily consuming and enveloping many.

Oh despair, you wicked bitch,
Claiming all those who to your wagon hitch. 

And even so, if I run away,
In your clutches I may yet find myself one day. 

But until then I will know your wiles,
And sink not into your arms within my trials. 

I know your subterfuges, tricks and ploys,
Playing with hearts of man like little toys.

So guard my heart I will with care,
And sink unto you I will not dare. 

You bitch, you bitch, you bitch, despair.

 
"BREAK FREE" © Autumn Boyet Stinton 2008



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)