HUMILITY: Big Universe...Small, Ignorant Me! (4/24/2018)


I’m reading a book.  The name of the book is BlackFish City:  A Novel by Sam J. Miller (you should check it out on Amazon!).  It is a science-fiction book, which is not what I normally read.  However, I am enjoying this book.  Today, I read a line that stopped me in my tracks.  I read it and re-read it, and finally just sat and let the words tumble over and over in my mind. 

 “Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge.”
 
I can’t help but keep up the volley in my mind.  It goes something like this: 

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …A free mind has humility.

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …Seeking glory is an enslaving disease.

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …If I am self-absorbed, I am not self-aware.

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …Inner peace is not possible without humility – the quiet virtue.

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …Humility is acknowledgment that our talents and abilities are gifts.

Book:  Life becomes significantly less stressful when you accept that your ignorance will always dwarf your knowledge…

                              My brain:  …I suck at being humble!

No wonder I’m stressed.  I’m doing it to myself.  There are some things that I know about myself.  I don’t shy from taking charge of things.  I feel confident in my abilities to handle most things.  I trust my instincts.  I feel an obligation to stand up for people, animals and things that aren’t getting a fair shake.  And, from a very young age, I have been willing to take on the tasks of being the “responsible” person for the greater good – even if it meant that I wasn’t cool or got tagged as self-righteous.  Honestly, with a little 20/20 hind-sight, I can say with certainty – that is a heavy weight to carry. 

However, it goes beyond just me and my existence.  We live in a society where fortune favors the strong and modesty is often perceived as being weak.  Ladder climbing and using others as the rungs to get to the top is considered normal.  Egos feed ravenously on attention, glory and power.   How did this become the accepted norm?  How did this become an acceptable part of our society?  Is this really who we are?  Is that really who I want to be?  Is that how I want to be remembered?  Can someone lead and inspire and still be humble?

I think it is possible – if we are willing to adjust our line of thinking a little. 

I had a boss for a couple years that taught me many valuable lessons.  Her name was Tisha and she was unique and wonderful.  I learned more from her in the 2 years I worked with her than I had ever learned up until them.  There were many things that made her unique in her position, but a couple that changed the way that I envisioned and knew a position of power to be.

She was confident not egotistical.  It is easy to confuse ego and confidence, but the irony is that when one is truly and sincerely confident, all it takes is his or her presence alone to be deeply felt by others.  And her presence alone was electric.  She didn’t need to tell anyone of her successes.  Her actions and deeds were evident without her boasting.  She could inspire and command attention and admiration without saying a word.  Her presence alone was a source of powerful, positive energy.  Her accomplishments and talents were and are numerous, but there was not a need for her to broadcast them.  I believe that she was a genuinely humble person.  Her presence was a combination of awareness, modesty, gratitude, and compassion for other human beings – A perfect marriage between grace and fortitude.  At therein lied her expansive pool of power.  How did she do it?  What is the secret recipe?  When I examine her persona, these are the things that I find most inspiring:

1.      She did nice things for people – just because she wanted to.  I often saw evidence of her compassion that went unspoken or unmentioned. 

2.     She never boasted or bragged about what she had.  Her successes were not a means to hold importance over others. 

3.      She listened.  Many times, she conducted meetings – her meetings - in which she listened more than she spoke. 

4.     She didn’t “one-up” people.  Regardless of her status or place, she took joy is the ideas and successes of others not requiring the lime-light be only hers. 

5.     She didn’t pass judgment on people or put them down to lift herself up. 

6.     She was not concerned with always being right or having the last word. 

7.      She knew people – important people, but she didn’t name-drop. 

8.     She was amazingly confident and had a magnetic personality, but she didn’t need constant attention.

9.     She was kind. 

 
She was and is a great example of being strong and powerful, yet humble.  She has figured out how to tap into her real power – not her accomplishments or net worth – but the real power that lies within.  The irony of the whole thing is that her humility makes her “shiny” and gets her noticed - people want to be around her and in her presence.  With a humble heart, she knows that she is appreciated, and she believes in herself, which in turn, gives others permission to believe in themselves.  Talk about power! 

 All that being said, I believe that humility is a freedom of spirit.  It is a cognitive liberty, a critical consciousness, a sense of free will that shows mental intelligence and maturity.  (Lordy, I am screwed again! – Maturity and intelligence!?!  Lofty goals!)  But seriously, I feel certain that I can work on this.  I can balance confidence with an understanding that ….my ignorance will always dwarf my knowledge in this great big universe.  
 
 A Picture Graphic by Autumn Boyet Stinton ©2018

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Form Writing - A Poem: THE STORM (July 20, 2017)

Anxiety, You BITCH! (5/14/2018)

Imposed Timelines or My Own Guidepost - Which am I following? (8/14/2018)